JOHN CARTER CASH, LAMB OF GOD, FEAR FACTORY members to appear on DEVILDRIVER country covers album "Outlaws 'Til The End"
Californian metalheads DEVILDRIVER's long-awaited cover album with metal versions of outlaw country anthems, "Outlaws 'Til The End", will be released on July 6 via Napalm Records. The disc is described in a press release as "both a startling curveball and a ferocious statement of individuality from a band who have been a constant and effective force in the heavy metal world for the best part of two decades now."
"I think real music has always gotten to me, whether it's the blues or even real goth music like BAUHAUS and SISTERS OF MERCY, as well as outlaw country greats like Johnny Cash, Wayne 'The Train' Hancock and Willie Nelson," DEVILDRIVER frontman Dez Fafaraexplains. "That stuff has always attracted me, and this is absolutely the real McCoy. The blues and outlaw country are what made rock 'n' roll. They were around before rock 'n' roll… and in my head, I've always heard these songs heavy."
From the opening seconds of Hank 3's "Country Heroes" onward, "Outlaws 'Til The End" is simply one of the most invigorating records DEVILDRIVER has made so far. More importantly, these evocative, irresistible songs have all been wholly rebuilt from the ground up, powered by the classic DEVILDRIVER sound and embellished with Fafara's unmistakable feral roar.
"Outlaws 'Til The End" was produced, mixed and recorded with Steve Evetts (THE DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN, EVERY TIME I DIE, SEPULTURA, THE CURE), with DEVILDRIVER guitarist Mike Sprietzer also lending recording talents. The album was mastered by renowned engineer Alan Douches.
Completing this unprecedented project is a host of metal and country luminaries providing unforgettable cameos: horror metal icon Wednesday 13 lends his incensed rasp to George Jones's "If Drinking Don't Kill Me", 36 CRAZYFISTS frontman Brock Lindow brings fire and soul to Steve Earle's "Copperhead Road", and FEAR FACTORY's Burton C. Bell helps to turn Richard Thompson's anti-war classic "Dad's Gonna Kill Me" into a brooding gothic metal extravaganza. Meanwhile, LAMB OF GOD members Randy Blythe and Mark Mortoncontribute to an exhilarating decimation of Willie Nelson's "Whiskey River" before Randymakes a second appearance on DEVILDRIVER's version of cowboy standard "Ghost Riders In The Sky"; the latter featuring the son of Johnny Cash himself.
"I knew right away that I wanted to have guests on this record, and the first guest I wanted was John Carter Cash," Fafara recalls. "I didn't want this thing to exist without John, without Hank 3 or without Randy. Basically, there were a certain amount of guests that I definitely wanted on it, but as I kept asking people, everyone kept saying yes!
"Randy and Mark are both from the country and they were immediately on board. With John, we wound up talking for two hours when we first met, all about his love of heavy metal and my love of outlaw country and my love of his dad's music. All he wanted to do was talk about metal and all I wanted to do was talk about outlaw country. It was the craziest thing."
Not only just content with a collaboration with John Carter Cash, the album also features the iconic voice of FEAR, U.S. punk rock legend Lee Ving. "Lee has a country band called RANGE WAR and when he first started in music, his mother gave him her mandolin to play, so he played country music before he ever did punk rock," Fafara notes. "I've been fortunate enough in my career to do songs with Ozzy [Osbourne] and some of the greats, but doing a song with Lee Ving? What can I say… he's my ultimate hero in life. I had a FEAR shirt on the first time I ran away from home, you know?"
"Outlaws 'Til The End" track listing:
- Country Heroes (Hank Williams III cover) - Performed by Hank3 & Dez Fafara
- Whiskey River (Willie Nelson cover) - Performed by Randy Blythe, Mark Morton of LAMB OF GOD & Dez Fafara
- Outlaw Man (Eagles cover) - Performed by Dez Fafara & Neal Tiemann of DEVILDRIVER
- Ghost Riders in the Sky (Stan Jones cover) - Performed by John Carter Cash, Ana Cristina Cash, Randy Blythe & Dez Fafara
- I'm the Only Hell (Mama Ever Raised) (Johnny Paycheck cover) - Performed by Dez Fafara & DEVILDRIVER
- If Drinking Don't Kill Me (Her Memory Will) (George Jones cover) - Performed by Wednesday 13 & Dez Fafara
- The Man Comes Around (Johnny Cash cover) - Performed by Lee Ving of FEAR & Dez Fafara
- A Thousand Miles from Nowhere (Dwight Yoakam cover) - Performed by Dez Fafara & Neal Tiemann of DEVILDRIVER
- Copperhead Road (Steve Earle cover) - Performed by Brock Lindow of 36 CRAZYFISTS & Dez Fafara
- Dad's Gonna Kill Me (Richard Thompson cover) - Performed by Burton C. Bell of FEAR FACTORY & Dez Fafara
- A Country Boy Can Survive (Hank Williams Jr. cover) - Performed by Dez Fafara & DEVILDRIVER
- The Ride (David Allan Coe cover) - Performed by Lee Ving of FEAR & Dez Fafara
Dez Fafara - Vocals
Mike Spreitzer - Guitar
Neal Tiemann - Guitar
Diego Ibarra - Bass
Austin D'Amond - Drums